GDPR Privacy Notice for Pupils
This notice is to help you understand how and why we collect personal information about your child and you and what we do with that information. We collect and use pupil information under the submission of the school census returns, including a set of named pupil records, is a statutory requirement on schools under Section537A oftheEducationAct1996.
The categories of pupil information that we collect, hold and share include:
- Personal Information – e.g. such as name, unique pupil number and address
- Characteristics – e.g. such as ethnicity, language, nationality, country of birth and free school meal eligibility
- Attendance information – e.g. such as sessions attended, number of absences and absence reasons
- Assessment information – e.g. national curriculum assessment results
- Relevant Medical information
- Behavioural Information – e.g. number of temporary exclusions
- Information relating to SEND
Why do we collect and use your information
We use the pupil data:
· To support pupil learning
· To monitor and report on pupil progress
· To provide appropriate pastoral care
· To assess the quality of our services
· To comply with the law regarding data sharing
· To safeguard pupils
Lawn Primary School holds the legal right to collect and use personal data relating to pupils and their families, and we may also receive information regarding them from a previous school, LA and/or the DFE. We collect and use personal data in order to meet legal requirements and legitimate interests set out in the GDPR and UK Law, including those in relation to the following:
· Article 6 & Article 9 of the GDPR
· Education Act 1996
· Regulation 5 of The Education (Information about individual pupils) (England) Regulations 2013.
Collecting Pupil Information
Whilst the majority of the personal data you provide to the school is mandatory, some is provided on a voluntary basis. When collecting data, the school will inform you whether you are required to provide this data or if your consent is needed. Where consent is needed, the school will provide you with specific and explicit information with regards to the reasons the data is being collected and how the data will be used.
Storing Pupil Data
Personal data relating to pupils at Lawn Primary School and their families is stored in line with the school’s GDPR Data Protection Policy and Retention Policy.
In accordance with the GDPR, the school does not store personal data indefinitely, data is only stored for as long as necessary to complete the task for which it was originally collected.
Who we share pupil information with
We routinely share pupil information with:
- Schools that the pupils attend once leaving us
- The Local Authority
- Department for Education
- The NHS
- Derby Safeguarding Board
The school is required to share pupils’ data with the DfE on a statutory basis.
The National Pupil Database (NPD) is managed by the DfE and contains information about pupils in schools in England. It provides invaluable evidence on educational performance to inform independent research, as well as studies commissioned by the Department. Lawn Primary School is required by law to provide information about our pupils to the DfE as part of statutory data collections, such as the school census, some of the information is then stored in the NPD.
The DfE may share information about our pupils from the NDP with third parties who promote the education or wellbeing o children in England by:
- Conducting research or analysis
- Producing statistics
- Providing information, advice or guidance.
The DfE has robust processes in place to ensure the confidentiality of any data shared from the NDP is maintained and there are stringent controls in place regarding access and use of the data. Decisions on whether DfE releases data to third parties are subject to strict approval process and based on a detailed assessment of:
- Who is requesting the data
- The purpose for which it is required
- The level and sensitivity of data requested: and
- The arrangements in place to store and handle data
To be granted access to pupil information, organisiations must comply with strict terms and conditions covering the confidentiality and handling of data, securing arrangements and retention and use of the data.
Requesting access to your personal data
Under data protection legislation, parents and pupils have the right to request access to information about them that we hold. To make a request for your personal information, or be given access to your child’s educational record, contact Helen Dobson – School Business Manager at H.Dobson@lawn.derby.sch.uk
You also have the right to:
- Object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
- Prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
- Object to decisions being taken by automated means
- In certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed: and
- Claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection regulations
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance.
If you would like to discuss anything in this privacy notice, please contact
Mrs Helen Dobson – School Business Manager – H.Dobson@lawn.derby.sch.uk